HNW - lacis

Donna Hrynkiw donna at Kwantlen.BC.CA
Wed Oct 8 16:34:52 PDT 1997

Hello from Donna,

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Maryanne wrote:
> Where did you learn how to make net?  As in:
> Maryanne
> mffski at epix.net

I started with the Reader's Digest Needlework book (did I get the title
right?) and just -couldn't- get the knots to stop slipping. Small wonder,
the RDN netting illustrations are WRONG. Yuck, patooey. Don't use it.

Then I found "Knotting and Netting - The Art of Filet Work" by Lisa Melen
at my local library and figured out what I was doing wrong and how to make
it right. (Proper netting knots don't slip.) At that point I made a
netted bait-bag for my dad out of fishing line (I don't recommend it
- -- doesn't hold a knot worth sh*t).

Then I left it alone for several years while I explored bobbin lace, until
I started seeing pictures of lacis in my lace books and determined to
try it again.

I've been collecting netting and lacis books ever since. Most often
you'll find netting in a chapter of a general needlework book like De
Dillmont's "Encyclopedia of Needlework", Caufeild's "Encyclopedia of
Victorian Needlework", and "Weldon's Encyclopedia of Needlwork". The
KliotS have also edited an "Art of Netting" that is primarily 'fancywork'
netting rather than functional.

But my all-time coolest netting find was "Down East Netting" by Barbara
Morton. This was the first book I'd found that got deep enough into the
topic to explain the difference between "old-fashioned" vs. "new
fashioned" method of netting. The book deals primarily with netting
as it was used in the fishing community, but has a number of 'shopping
bag'-style projects, and is the most comprehensive netting book I have.

I like netting. It's pretty darned mindless once you get the motions
into a rhythm, and I find it makes meetings go much faster.

 ...unlike lacis, which I haven't done enough of to get to the mindless
stage; I suspect I never will. It's sorta like one of those puzzles where
you're supposed to draw a line through every side of a shape, but only once,
and you have to leave a path so you can join back to the beginning.

If you're going to try and teach yourself netting, I recommend using a
thick, hard thread that shows the knots clearly. I teach using parcel or
butcher's string.

(Hmmmm. Is there a need for a netting page on the WWW?...)

Donna Hrynkiw
SCA: Elizabeth Braidwood
donna at kwantlen.bc.ca
http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca/~donna