HNW - Re: lacis Re: HNW - lacis Re: HNW - lacisRe: HNW - lacis

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Wed Oct 8 20:31:04 PDT 1997

Hello Diane:

When I examine period pieces of Lacis not set in linen, I see that the net
itself is pulled at the outside cells as if it is stretched either to work
or to block it.  Early samplers were often stitched around with buttonhole
bars and then the bars attached to pins on frames.

>the decorated net was removed to be joined to other
> nettings (more often than to be set in linen pieces).

I can only report on what I've seen in one collection, the Victoria &
Albert.  I tend to see the small squares inset in linen ground more often
than joined "net to net".  I have no idea if that is typical or just a
manifestation of their collection.

Linn

- ----------
> From: Larry Anderson & Diane Hare <foxnhare at goldrush.com>
> To: H-Needlework at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: HNW - Re: lacis  Re: HNW - lacis Re: HNW - lacisRe: HNW - lacis
> Date: Wednesday, October 08, 1997 1:24 PM
>
> Linn keyed to Wendy:
>
> > Lacis is a type of darned net.  The net is made on a small frame about
> 6-8" square and then thread is woven in and around the net with a
> > needle to make a design.  Many of the designs in the early Italian
> > and German patternbooks were for Lacis.  The squares are then removed >
and often set in linen pieces.  This was one of the favorite sorts of >
needlework of Mary Queen of Scots.