HNW - lacis

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Wed Oct 8 20:25:42 PDT 1997

Donna

> Could you explain more about what you mean by 'needle knotted'? I think
> we may be talking about the same technique using different words.

I think we are on the same wavelength here.  I have a netting shuttle and
spacer bar (whatever it is properly called) that belonged to my great great
grandmother and I totally agree that I've never seen a set quite small
enough to work classic Lacis net.  I was under the impression that the
frame was used as just that a frame (with pins round the edge) and the
thread carried around the pins as it was intersection knotted from (corner
to corner - side to side - top to bottom?) using a large needle as in
needle tatting.  I had the impression that the netting was formed on the
frame but I'm probably dead wrong <G>

> Cool! Care to share any of your findings? I've maintained a passing fancy
> in just this area for years. (Mostly in collecting images of both
> lacis-suitable patterns and of worked lacis from before about 1700.)

I'm in London at least 4 times a year and hang out at the V&A.  One of my
favorite activities is collecting bits of designs or entire designs and
then finding them turning up here, there and everywhere.  I take
reproduction early design books with me and examine Lacis pieces to find
out from which book the stitcher found her inspiration...I do tend to
frighten the guards when I start doing an Apache dance everytime a score a
hit!

Now I think I need some Lacis lessons....