HNW - Re: lacis Re: HNW - lacis Re: HNW - lacisRe: HNW - lacis

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Thu Oct 9 19:54:46 PDT 1997

Dear Linn-

The Philadelphia Museum of Art displayed two of their tablecovers, French,
early 17th century,a couple of years ago. One was made up of formal, sorta
boring floral motifs done in lacis, joined edge to edge. As  usual, it was
edged with reticella and punto-in-aria. They had another one I found
totally charming and it was more t ypical of what I've seen in books--
blocks of lacis altlernating with white linen cutwork squares. One of the
patterns was a frog that I would die to chart! The other lacis motifs were
lively and lovely.

The Philadelphia College of Textiles and Sciences also owns one of these
table covers, also French and dated to late 16th-early 17th century.
Alternating squares of lacis with squares of cutwork is what I've seen most
in various needlework books. Very pretty!

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries..too little time"