HNW - Re: Beading

Triste cateline at chesco.com
Fri Oct 10 13:02:49 PDT 1997

> The Kay Staniland book  Medieval Embroiderers has a good picture of the
> Mantel.  It was made in the Royal workshops in Sicily possibly for King
> Roger (1130-54) and later became part of the coronation insignia of the
> german kings and emperors.  The photo is in color, and there is a closeup
in
> black and white that clearly shows the seed pearls.   The gold work is
> packed rows of fine couched gold thread not beads.

There is also the book Marie Schuette and Sigrid Muller-Christensen. The
British title is The Art of Embroidery. I have forgotten the American
title, but it might be The History of Embroidery. It has the Mantel, of
course, and at least one medieval item covered with beads and another with
metal placques.

Triste