HNW - Re: Beading

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Fri Oct 10 18:54:05 PDT 1997

- ----------
> /The instances I -did- find usually involved small pearls or amber. That
> /large red coronation mantle of (I'm drawing a blank on the name -- Roger
> /II?) that shows a tiger attacking a camel, and palm trees -- if you
> /can find a close-up of the pattern, you'll discover that the white
edging
> /around all the lines is actually seed pearls, and the gold colour is
> /either gold tube beads or some sort of gold bullion/cord. (Wasn't clear
> /from the photo.)
>
> cool! am working on a cloak based on that one and didn't have a clear
> enough picture for me to tell

The best photo of Roger II of Sicily's coronation mantle is probably one in
The Book of Silk by Philippa Scott.  The frontal bands are embroidered in
gold thread with pearls in an elaborately scrolled pattern filled with
little gold tubular beads and inset with enamelled gold plaques.  For a
close up of a textile from the same workshops which will give you an
excellent idea of the technique see the Medieval Craftsmen series published
by British Museum Press, the one Embroiderers by Kay Staniland who is
Keeper of Textiles at The Museum of London.  There is a very good closeup
of a cuff from a dalmatic of 1130-40 which will give an idea of the level
of workmanship in this workshop in Palermo.>