HNW - York textilesAD900-1500

Margaret Bolger Margaret_Bolger at compuserve.com
Mon Oct 13 07:11:55 PDT 1997

I have just been sent information on a new book, which I thought some of
you might be interested in :

"Textile Production at 16-22 Coppergate" by Penelope Rogers.
Part of the Archaeology of York series, and discusses over 1000 artefacts
connected with textile production discovered in and around the Viking age
and medieval buildings discovered at Coppergate, York, together with dye
plants, raw wool and flax.  The material ranges from 9th to 15thC.
The book includes a survey of the main classes of textile implements, with
reconstructions showing how the tools were used.

The book costs £22 and is available from :
CBA Bowes Morrell House, 111 Walmgate, York YO1 2UA
(fax: 01904.671384)