HNW - acorn "sweet bag"

Marie Schulte mschulte at post.its.mcw.edu
Tue Oct 14 06:19:38 PDT 1997

Hi!
As I own a copy of the book Kathryn mentioned, I thought I would quote
the figure legend for the person interested in the acorn bags.  It says,
and I quote, "Plate 39.  Top left and right: bead-covered purses of
the second quarter of the 17th century.  That on the left is leather
covered with glass beads threaded on brown silk, the acorns in opaque
yellow and green on a ground of clear reddish purple.  The inscription
reads: HEARE ET IS HIT OR MISS.  That on the right, in similar colouring,
is dated 1634 with the inscription: I PRAY GOD TO B MY GVIDE." end quote
from English Domestic Needlework: 1660-1860_ by Therle Hughes, Abbey Fine
Arts, London.

There is no publication date.

Hope this is of interest.

Marie