HNW - HNW--mfa jacket

Deborah Pulliam pulliam at acadia.net
Thu Oct 16 06:57:36 PDT 1997

The jacket at Boston MFA is linen, embroidered with silver and gold, in a
pattern of stylized tulips.  It's definitely not knitted, and was reworked,
as someone said, probably in the 18 c  for fancy dress. There are some
original accessories that match (headcloth, coif, etc.) but the
gown/petticoat is a repro, made for a 60s (I think) exhibition. It also
appears to have been completely disassembled at some point.

It's been on exhibit a couple of times in the past 30 years or so, and was
photographed for a catalog. Unfortunately I don't remember the title of the
catalog; I believe it was for an exhibition c. 1980.

Deborah