HNW - Re: Beading

Conny Fitzsimmons lifitz at wco.com
Fri Oct 17 16:13:57 PDT 1997

Greetings,

The pearls are pillow drilled, that is drilled through the short side of the
pearl. .

If you are going to try and make a pair of these cuffs , which I have, the
gold tubes are very tiny and are akin to our modern heshi  beads.     Fire
Mountain Gems in Cave Junction sells both liquid gold and liquid silver.
They have both plated and gold filled.  The gold filled  heshi  is quite
small, and still larger than what was used in period.

The liquid gold is couched down, and the pearls are either couched or sewn
down one at a time.   I couched the liquid gold and sewed the pearls down
one at a time.

I wound up using about 2300 pearls and almost two ounces of the gold, which
is several thousand gold beads..

Catherine Lorraine, OL

There's also a cuff from a dalmatic sleeve I've seen in a few books
(Staniland's _Embroiderers_ from the "Medieval Craftsmen" series, p. 46, has
a nice sized color photo) that is said to be from the same workshops as Roger
II's cloak.  It has seed pearls outlining the motifs, which are filled in,
according to the caption, with "minute gold tubes".  Around the edge of the
cuff are larger enamelled plaques, but I can't tell how they're attached.
I have a small hand and wrist; judging from when I hold my hand next to that
picture, I think it's fairly close to actual size, which makes the plaques at
least 1-1/8 inch long and about half an inch wide or so.  The seed pearls are
probably 2 mm size (in modern terms); the tubes look much smaller than what
you would normally buy as bugle beads today.
Lady Myfanwy ferch Rhiannon
mka Ruth Morrisson
RMorrisson at aol.com