HNW - Middle Eastern Textiles

Irene Davis idavis at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 19 12:18:19 PDT 1997

You wrote:

>I would be interested in hearing about any good sources for this,
also...

>On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Laura Barwick wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone!
>> I'm interested in finding out more about Middle Eastern beadwork and
>> textiles, can you suggest any good sources?
(snipped)

Greetings! Me, too! I do know of a couple of good resources. I was
trying to find out the exact names, but I can't find my notebook! We
moved this summer, and then went to Pennsic. I took a class there on ME
garb that had superb references. The teacher recommended looking for
books on the various empires in the area. For instance, Suliman the
Magnificent. There were incredibly beautiful paintings done of court
life. Also, on a more archaeological note (my personal fave) the
British costume journal is superb. They take actual garments, give you
measured drawings of the pieces used to construct them, any historical
details that are known, and very detialed pictures and desriptions of
embroideries, etc. The US has a costume journal ,too, but apparently it
is not as good. If anyone knows the exact names of these journals I'd
love to get them again. I know the notebook will surface eventually,
but...

Irene Davis
SCA: Eirny Thorvaldsdottir