HNW - Is anyone there????

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Sat Apr 4 15:26:42 PST 1998

>So I guess I'll pose a question...when doing Blackwork, what materials
>do people use? DMC floss, silk floss, cotton weave fabric, linen, what

I would say if you are interested in historical accuracy then of course
linen and silk.  I currently use up to five sorts of silks on blackwork
(Shantung from Texere in England; Floss from Madeira; Rainbow Gallery's
Splendor, Elegance and Grandeur) as well as occasionally using silk sewing
thread on high count linen.

However, should you be doing a modern interpretation, let your imagination
be your guide.  I've recently seen a striking bit of "blackwork" with the
fabric painted in a very soft sort of blotchy pastels (dabbed here and there
in no special form) and then the outlines of the motifs stitched in black
silk with the filling motifs stitched in pastels that follow the background
painted colors.  This means that often a filling pattern changes colors mid
design... a very effective use of an old technique.

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters