HNW - Messy wrongsides

Jacquie Samples jacquie-samples at uiowa.edu
Mon Apr 6 08:59:44 PDT 1998

I have done a little reading about this, but I haven't gotten to any
museums to see the wrongsides for myself, so this is just all conjecture,
but...
This hypotheses, of course, does not include reversable work which on such
things as handkerchiefs and collars, etc. which were viewed from both
sides.  It is my perception that the obsession with "equal neatness front
and back" didn't really come about until the Victorian age.
I have seen some photos of the reverse of pieces worked in the 16th and
17th centuries, and while these were not knotted messes, neither are they
what could be called excessively neat.  Some threads are "run across" to
get to another area worked in the same color, etc., where today we would
probably end the thread and start again in the new area to avoid a messy back.

Does any one else have a different opinion about this?  Also, I wonder if
those of you who "do" other lists could direct some of the
embroidery-related discussion to this list when it occurs on them?  Is that
"legal," polite, or just greedy of me?

[snip]