HNW - Is anyone there????

Bradshaw, Beth Beth.Bradshaw at CareAmerica.com
Mon Apr 6 10:22:00 PDT 1998

We are not alone...<G>
I use the Dmc flower thread for blackwork, since it does not need to be
split, and when waxed, it very easy to work with. Also very hard to
find. I would suggest to begin start on aida, to get the feel for the
work, and then move on to evenweave fabrics. And if you start on aida,
and try different stitches, there's your sampler, and you can also
experiment with how different stitches look with different thread
weights. Of course I dont have any books here, but find a good beginning
book with many stitches and go from there. I would suggest not starting
with silk, DMC six strand is easy to find, and not as expensive. And if
you use the colors to experiment, it makes a very colorful sampler.
Then, when you have a feel for it, move on to bigger and better threads.
Always start small, so you dont get frustrated from trying too much at
first. And good luck, it is very rewarding to finish a piece.
Beth
 ----------
From: Mary Temple
To: H-Needlework at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: Re: HNW - Is anyone there????
Date: Saturday, April 04, 1998 12:54PM

So I guess I'll pose a question...when doing Blackwork, what materials
do people use? DMC floss, silk floss, cotton weave fabric, linen, what
kind of needle, etc...? I'm thinking about starting to do some, but have
no idea what kind of needle to use, or even what kind of fabric to do it
on. (I've gotten as far as black silk floss on some type of white
fabric, but other than that...)

Lady Catriona Rowley
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra