HNW - Knitted Stockings

Judy Schroeder nieka at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 6 12:07:23 PDT 1998

The new issue of TI has reprinted an article about recreating Eleanora's
knitted stockings; I had read it before.  I am not sure I agree with all
of the author's conclusions; for example, the photo in Rutt's History of
Handknitting shows a long knitted strip that I suspect was the garter.
Anyway, these are on my list to make for myself someday.
My question is;  some time ago, on this list or another, I remember seeing
a comment that Rutt had misread the italian, or it was mistranslated, and
the stockings were not crimson silk but wool.  Does anyone else remember
this comment?

Judy Schroeder
nieka at u.washington.edu