HNW - Messy wrongsides

Jennifer Riddle jmridd1 at pop.uky.edu
Mon Apr 6 13:42:32 PDT 1998

At 10:59 AM 4/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I have seen some photos of the reverse of pieces worked in the 16th and
>17th centuries, and while these were not knotted messes, neither are they
>what could be called excessively neat.  Some threads are "run across" to
>get to another area worked in the same color, etc., where today we would
>probably end the thread and start again in the new area to avoid a messy
back.

You can see examples of this from the Bayeux Tapestry.  It has a lot of
threads "run across" as well.  I was heartened to discover that the back of
my own work is somewhat neater than the Bayeux Tapestry. (Not much, mind
you...)

The Bayeux Tapestry page has a few close-up pictures that show the back of
the tapestry if you'd like to take a look.  The URL is:
		http://blah.bsuvc.bsu.edu/BT

*still trying to clear up the name conflicts!*  :)
(commonly called Wryn)
College of Dragon's Crossing

mka Jennifer Riddle
Lexington, KY