HNW - Messy wrongsides

Elizabeth Anderson eanderso at acs.ucalgary.ca
Tue Apr 7 08:04:24 PDT 1998

Jacquie wrote:

*A friend of mine and I were talking about this yesterday and came with an
*interesting theory and I was interested in your opinion.  We thought it
*might come down to finances and deadlines.  People who were embroidering at
*home probably had less money and resources, so they had to be neat to
*conserve their precious silks and linens, etc.  Professional embroiderers,
*although I'm sure they also were interested in getting the most from their
*materials, were working more from deadline perspective, so that as the
*deadline neared, the neatness on the back became less of a
concern.

I think you have made an excellent point, and probably got the
point of the matter. I've noticed this myself - if it is a labour
of love, you can make it as perfect as possible; but
professionals would not have the time to do this. There is a lady
in my area who embroidered a piece for her husband so exquisitely
that it is quite difficult to tell the front from the back; there
is slightly less colour on the back, but that's about all. And
the items was not intended to be reversible...

Bess Anderson     (in the SCA, Nan Compton)

eanderso at acs.ucalgary.ca