HNW - Computer design programs

Jacquie Samples jacquie-samples at uiowa.edu
Tue Apr 14 13:10:09 PDT 1998

Hello list,
I have been trying to find an affordable (under $150 or so, but this is
very tentative depending on the program I might find) embroidery design
program that does more than just cross stitches.  I want to be able to do
COUNTED THREAD EMBROIDERY, blackwork, pulled work, whitework, as well as
some cross stitch designs.

I want one that will chart special techniques like reticello lace, detached
buttonhole stitches, etc. I also want to be able to scan in line drawings,
or patterns from 17th pattern books. It would be nice if I could put in the
directions on how to do certain stitches, unless there's one that comes
with a stitch library?

I have found a few that I think will work (or that I could Make work, which
is quite different), but I don't want to have to buy several programs, test
them out, and then return the ones that don't work out for me.  Does anyone
out there have anything that works for them?  I'm not really interested in
the programs that turn photos into designs and that's most of what I'm
finding.

I realise that I'm being fairly demanding, but I think that program
designers should cater to ME, too, not just professional designers and
embroiderers who want to stitch photos of their kids (which is fine with
me, just not what I'm doing)

Jacquie Samples

mailto:jacquie-samples at uiowa.edu