HNW - Computer design programs

Bradshaw, Beth Beth.Bradshaw at CareAmerica.com
Wed Apr 15 10:39:00 PDT 1998

I suppose the next question should be, what programs do people on the
list use, and how do you like it? I also use a Mac, at home, and am very
interested in what programs people use, and how well they work for them.
I also have access to a PC at work, but of course I am not supposed to
use it for anything other then business<G>, like now.....
Beth
 ----------
From: EowynA
To: H-Needlework at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: Re:  HNW - Computer design programs
Date: Tuesday, April 14, 1998 6:30PM

>I have found a few that I think will work (or that I could Make work,
which
>is quite different), but I don't want to have to buy several programs,
test
>them out, and then return the ones that don't work out for me.  Does
anyone
>out there have anything that works for them?  I'm not really interested
in
>the programs that turn photos into designs and that's most of what I'm
>finding.

Sometimes you can get demo copies of software -- generally they are
full-
featured, except you cannot save anything you create.   When I was
looking for
a design program, I bought all the needlework magazines I could find
with ads
in them, and wrote each company for information.  I didn't specifically
ask
for demo copies, but got one or two anyway.  I use Stitchcrafts, which
is
mostly "fill in the squares" (cross stitch or needlepoint) and
backstitches (I
use it for blackwork, but it does not allow a "knight's move" stitch
<over two
and down one, for instance>).  I needed it for macintosh, and many are
just
ibm format.

One designer I know uses "Canvas" , which is not actually a needlework
program, but an art/drawing program.  This is mostly for showing how to
do
stitches, rather than charting, though.  She created the backgrounds she
wants
(such as a drawing of a woven fabric), then puts the pictures of
stitches and
needles as needed on the next layer up.

Have fun looking!
Melinda Sherbring, Los Angeles  (EowynA at aol.com)