HNW - Charles' shirt

Dick Eney dickeney at access.digex.net
Thu Apr 16 20:57:00 PDT 1998

Deborah:

Since you have more detailed information than is in Rutt:  another area of
uncertainty occurred to me.  The photograph in Mary Thomas's book of
knitting patterns, which IIRC is the same as the one in Rutt, doesn't show
the sleeve where it attaches to the armscye, because the sleeves are
folded down.

The tiny corner at the top of the sleeve seems to indicate that the sleeve
was knitted in the brocade pattern right to the edge where it is sewn in.
But it doesn't show whether the body had false 'guards' knitted in around
the armscye, as was done on some other silk tunics of similar date.

The sleeve is shaped by increases along the bottom of the sleeve,
apparently in line with the side of the tunic, where the seam would be if
the tunic hadn't been knitted in the round.  Is all the shaping taken care
of that way, or is there a diamond shape knitted in at the bottom of the
armscye, the way there is in guernseys?

If we're considering replicas, we may as well try to be as detailed as
possible.

=Tamar

 <snip>