HNW - Couching or Laidwork

Vickie Williams vickieww at CTC.Net
Sun Apr 26 08:40:02 PDT 1998

I've been lurking in the backgound of this list for some time.  Now I have a problem and
need help.  I'm trying to find information on the origins of couching or laidwork.  Does
anyone have some sources, website, etc. on this type of eary needlework.  I'm also
trying my hand at using metallic threads.  Any information I can get is welcome.

I'm trying to trace back the origins and the patterns that might have been used for
couching or laidwork.  I've read that the early celts used "colored threads" to decorate
their clothing and am trying to envision what kind of designs they might have used.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Vickie