HNW - Couching or Laidwork

Tsrra Tsrra at aol.com
Sun Apr 26 14:51:24 PDT 1998

<< I'm trying to find information on the origins of couching or laidwork.
Does
 anyone have some sources, website, etc. on this type of eary needlework.  I'm
also
 trying my hand at using metallic threads.  Any information I can get is
welcome.

 I'm trying to trace back the origins and the patterns that might have been
used for
 couching or laidwork.  I've read that the early celts used "colored threads"
to decorate
 their clothing and am trying to envision what kind of designs they might have
used.

Schuette - Pictorial History of Embroidery
Symonds & Preece - Needlework through the Ages
Jones - History of Western Embroidery
Synge - Antique Needlework

For designs, check out existing sculpture, carvings, illumination, woodwork,
etc.