HNW - Book recommendation for period embroidery

Sarah Randles s-randles at adfa.oz.au
Tue Apr 28 17:17:50 PDT 1998

Hello all,

If I had to recommend one book on medieval embroidery, it would be Kay
Staniland's _Embroiderers_ in the Medieval Craftsman series.  (Sorry, I
don't have the publications with me.)  It's a smallish paperback,
relatively inexpensive, and provides an overview of the sorts of embroidery
done in Western Europe through the middle ages.  It's not without its
mistakes (I get particularly annoyed by her mis-describing the Tristan
embroidery at the V&A), but it's pretty solid on the whole.  For a
beginner, I would recommend looking through this to get an idea of the
sorts of things you could do, then using one of the standard 'how-to' books
for the techniques.

Hope this is useful,

Sarah

Sarah Randles                                    email: s-randles at adfa.oz.au
School of English                              phone: 02 6268 8842
University College ADFA                 fax:   02 6268 8899
Canberra ACT 2601
AUSTRALIA
Web Page: http://www.adfa.oz.au/English/SOESarah.htm