HNW - HNW blackwork or embroidery??

Jacquie Samples jacquie-samples at uiowa.edu
Mon Aug 3 11:26:47 PDT 1998

Cecilia,
Kathryn is correct; about 3 months ago we had a lively debate going about
messy wrongsides.  I believe that that is what subject headings had in them
in case you can dig up the digests.

I'm pretty sure that the consensus of the group was that most often people
didn't worry too much about the wrongsides.  Some professional embroiderers
took more care with the backs, but mostly due to conserving thread and
reducing costs (hypotheses!), while the home embroiderer may have been less
concerned about that and thereby making messier backs.  Of course this
can't be applied to the reversable types of embroidery done on collars,
cuffs, etc.  The ones who were concerned with making neat backs were
certainly less concerned with it than their Victorian counterparts who
instigated the obsession (which has been passed down to us) with making the
backs "as neat as the fronts."

Hope this helps,
Jacquie Samples