HNW - Arab roughly 10th century knitted socks

Donna Hrynkiw donna at Kwantlen.BC.CA
Tue Aug 4 11:21:54 PDT 1998

Greetings from Donna,

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Tamar wrote:
> Yes, they are the same ones.  The gauges varied. The heaviest texture was
> about 12 stitches per inch, like thin string.  The finest texture was
> about 16 stitches per inch, a trifle heavier than modern machine-made
> cotton socks.
[...]
> (My best effort to date was a sample at 12 st/inch on size 0000 needles
> using JP Coats cotton Knit-Cro-Sheen.)
[...]
> =Tamar

Uh... this gauge sounds a bit off to me -- is it possible there's a typo
in that description? I regularly get 11 st/in on 2.5mm needles with
Shetland Fair Isle wool at a medium tension. 4-0 (0000) needles are
exactly half that size (1.25mm) and my gut feeling is that you should
be getting more stitches/inch.

  ...unless working in cotton is a lot different from working in wool.
I don't have a whole lot of experience knitting cotton.

Donna Hrynkiw
donna at kwantlen.bc.ca
http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca/~donna