HNW - Bargello questions

Jacquie Samples jacquie-samples at uiowa.edu
Tue Aug 4 11:29:04 PDT 1998

Hi,
I looked up Bargello in "Mary Gostelow's Embroidery Book" (New York: E.P.
Dutton, c1978. ISBN 0876903448. pp. 27 ff.) and here is what I found:

"Bargello, also known as Florentine embroidery, ... Byzantine, flame,
Hungarian point or Irish work ... Some of the earliest surviving examples
of English Bargello are early seventeenth century wall-hangings and bed
curtains, sometimes worked on narrow strips of canvas embroidered and them
joined selvedge to selvedge.  Other popular uses for Bargello in the past,
especially in eighteenth century America, included decoration for
pocket-books, handy envelopes with or without end gussets. ...

Gostelow also gives some theories as to where and why the variations in the
name for the techniqies arose.  These theories do not really seem to date
the technique (at least to me), but to identify where it may have
originated, perhaps simultaneously in several areas?

I believe, having read this chapter, that Bargello was originally always
worked in wool, but Gostelow states that cotton or silk threads are
acceptable.  She also states that "Bargello is generally worked on
single-weave, mono, canvas with a thread count of [10 - 18 per in.] with
[14] a good compromise for beginners." )p. 28)

According to the info in this book, I don't think that I'd use Bargello for
anything pre-17th century, but I don't know if that's a definitive date or
not.  No mention of Italy as a place where this technique was popular, of
course that means very little.  I believe that Gostelow's main emphasis in
this book is on the work and how to do it, rather than on the history of
the technique, unlike in some of her other writings.

Hope this at least gets you a starting point to continue your research.

Jacquie Samples