HNW - Bargello questions

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Wed Aug 5 07:21:34 PDT 1998

Dear Arlys-

<3. Was it always done in wool? Being allergic to wool, I'm doing mine in
multi-ply silk, which has a lovely result if you've never tried it. >

I taught myself using all 6 strands of DMC on 14 or 18 count aida. It has a
lovely silky look!

IMO one of the best books on the subject is "Florentine Embroidery" by
Barbara Snook. She admits (as many other authors do ) that the origin of it
can't be pinned down too solidly. However, the stitching is similar to the
earlier Opus Teutonicum, which is a counted satin stitch. Have you seen
Master Richard Wymarc's wonderful research and patterns? He has a web page
and has done a Compleat Anachronist on the subject. Most of the extant
works he found were bags or cushions. I've also seen bargello  on undated
English samplers and early 17th century samplers.

I think a purse could be counted as a sort of "upholstery" or "movable
goods". . Go ahead, do one in silk and dazzle everyone! :-)

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries..too little time"