HNW - Re: Historical Blackwork's messy back

EowynA@aol.com EowynA at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 20:41:00 PDT 1998

Hello Linn,

<<I have seen backs of several pieces of textiles from the 16th/17th

centuries. >>

Where?  Are there photos?

<< "blackwork" is typically done very neatly in double running if the backside

was to show (i.e. costume ruffles, etc. and on samplers) >>
My question specifically excluded the reversible stitching of bands usually
seen in costume ruffles (like Jane Seymour's ruffle in the Holbein painting)
and on samplers (such as the Bostocke -- unless you are interpreting the
patches and bands she did as filling stitches without an outline .  Is that
what you mean?

<< and in backstitch if not intended to be seen.>>
That is what I am seeking to prove or disprove, with examples.  :->

<<Sometimes the double running stitch is carried to extreme with many

compensating stitches in order to make the design reversible.>>
Again,  do you mean the bands of Spanish Stitch?  I'm reasonably certain most
of the bands were done in either double-running or stem stitch, both of which
leave a line on the back in the same shape as the one on the front.

If you mean that the filling stitches  (such as the fillings used in the
flowers and leaves) were done in double running stitch, please, please cite a
specific example.  What piece where was done this way???  That is what I am
looking for, and hoping someone on this list can come up with.

Thanks for your comments -- and hoping you have more  :-)
Melinda Sherbring