HNW - 17th century knitting pics

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Mon Aug 17 07:28:32 PDT 1998

Dear List-

I was recently going through my costume books and found some black and
white photos of items owned by  the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

Davenport, Milia, "The Book of Costume" Crown Publishers, NY,c.1948 (I have
the             1976 edition)

pictures are on p.635, text on p.634.
==============================
fig.1696, 17th cent. Italian, knitted mitts, probably ecclesiastical, in
light and dark brick pink, lemon yellow,green, cobalt blue,and natural
color. (photo shows pattern knitting of carnation motif, and faint traces
of what appear to be lacy designs of a diapered lozenge nature)

===============================

fig. 1697, knitted jacket, Italian 17th century

jacket has lots of pattern knitting on the front (appears to fasten with
ball buttons) and possible lacy knitting on the bottom band.

fig.1698-1700

early 17th century, Italian, knitted stockings

stockings have very big and fancy clocks, main body  plain. One has stripes
at the top.

I would be hapy to scan and email to anyone who can't find the book.

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries..too little time"