HNW - Card Weaving

kathe1@juno.com kathe1 at juno.com
Fri Aug 28 06:36:27 PDT 1998

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:37:55 -0700 Elaine McMillan <emcmill at direct.ca>
writes:
>I recently had the opportunity to take a brief 'hands-on' course on
>card
>weaving - found it absolutely fascinating - and want to do more.
>
>Any recommendations for a starting point (books for beginners,
>supplies,
>etc.) would be very much appreciated.

I just went to find my card-weaving book and I can't find it anywhere!
Boy, do I need to do an overhaul of my needlework/costuming library!
Anyway, it was one of those paperback books, 9  x 12 x 1/4 inch thick or
thereabouts. Probably Dover, but maybe not. It has really simple
instructions, lots of pictures, and numerous patterns for beginners. I've
seen it not that long ago at Waldens or one of the other chain book
stores.

As far as supplies, I made all the cards I used in a class I taught,
because I couldn't find any commercially. The book I mentioned has
templates, IIRC. I bought my original set long ago and far away at
LeeWards. I think they may be out of business, or they may still be doing
catalog sales.  Other than that, I don't think I've seen cards in any of
the catalogs I get or at any of the craft stores I attend.

I used knit-cro-sheen (I think that's what it's called) for my classes.
The stuff is fairly thick, so it didn't tangle, it comes in lots of
colors, it's washable and very forgiving if you make a mistake.

HTH. Sorry I couldn't find the exact reference.

Julleran