HNW - flame testing

Ghislaine Fontanneau ghia_f at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 29 12:19:01 PDT 1998

Here are the results of Ghia's flame test on the mystery fabric:

I cut a swatch and took it to the sink and lit that sucker up!  It
burned for a few seconds after I removed the match, then it gradually
snuffed itself out.  The fire left behind some very soft, still-fibrous,
black 'stuff,' still in the shape of the fabric.  It didn't really seem
like ash.  Only about half an inch of fabric burned, the rest of the
swatch was un-damaged.  So whatever it is, I think I can take it to sit
beside campfires.  It doesn't sound very much like wool.

Just out of curiosity, I then dribbled some acetone fingernail polish
remover on the undamaged part of the swatch.  It looked wet.  That's
all.

So, any clues about what I have here?  And, can I wash it in the gentle
cycle?

Thanks,
Ghia