HNW - Medieval Dyes

Jafath@aol.com Jafath at aol.com
Sat Aug 29 20:21:17 PDT 1998

<<
 As a NON SCA person, I was also trying to establish that major "industries"
 such as textile production (even in the American Colonies) quickly moved
 from natural dyes done by individuals at home, to people purchasing either
 ready-dyed materials or ready-to-use dyes.

While you are probably quite correct, I would point out that here at the end
of the 20th century, when textile manufacture is a large industry, I know lots
of people who dye, weave, etc, _because_they_like_to_do_it_, and I don't think
you can rule this taste out at any earlier time, either. I have family
correspondence from Ohio in 1860 or so, giving a lot of detail about how the
current fashion was to dye lots of varicolored yarns and weave them to make a
"balmoral" petticoat.

Jo Anne