HNW - Seed Bead work

Carol Thomas scbooks at neca.com
Tue Sep 1 16:02:51 PDT 1998

At 11:09 AM 9/1/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of and examples or research for seed bead work, not
>necessarily bead weaving, done in the SCA time period (600AD - 1600AD).  I
>can't think of any done in EUrope, but my interests are more embroidery
>than beadwork.

Beadwork: Shire Album 57 by Pamela Clabburn
ISBN 0-85263-529-x
Written 1980; republished 1994

12th c. Germany:
Strings of little beads are couched (it appears to me) to form facial
features, halo, background on "panels from stoles, embroidered on parchment"
Also some background vines swirling around to flowers.

1630 - 1640 England:
purse with beads stitched onto canvas in a regular pattern.  One is acorns
in a diamond pattern, the other acorns between 2 birds, with some geomtric
shapes