HNW - Portuguese/Arraiolos or needleworked rugs

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Wed Sep 2 09:11:05 PDT 1998

Dear List-

re Spa ish and Portuguese rugs-- the Philadelphia  Museum of Art seems to
have a specialized collection of them. At one point they had a book
available.

I have seen the gorgeous 16th century Spanish rug, needleworked (what we
might today call needlepointed) with the arms of Castile and Leon and in
amazing condition. They also had a small textile exhibit two years or so
agao that I saw. There were some Portugese rugs worked mostly in linear
needlework, although one had a center of bargello-style work.

I would suggest a phone call or letter to the Textiles Department of the
museum. Call (215) 555-1212 for Philadelphia information to get the
listing. (I've moved away or I would help)

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"