HNW - Raisedwork/Stumpwork

Vestido6@aol.com Vestido6 at aol.com
Wed Sep 2 10:47:50 PDT 1998

Just to add a few of my citings of  raised work.

There is a great photo of a casket lid from English, c1650-75 in "Treasures
>From The Embroiderers' Guild Collection," ed Elizabeth Benn p19.

In "The Victoria & Albert Museum's Textile Collection embroidery In Britain
>From 1200 to 1750," by Donald Kin & Santina Levey, there are some examples
with small amounts of raised work.  All are English in origin, from c1320-40,
c1310-40, and c1430-60.  Pages 39,40,43.

In the July/Aungust issue of Piecework, the is an excellent article by Kathy
Epstein, a textile historian entitled, "Stumpwork What's in a Name?"

And lastly, the book "Stumpwork Embroidery" by Jane Nicholas gives wonderful
ways of approaching stumpwork  but this is from a contemporary view.

I also am fascinated by this form of needlework and enjoy hearing of others
sources.

Dianne