HNW - Stumpwork

kathe1@juno.com kathe1 at juno.com
Fri Sep 4 13:31:24 PDT 1998

Depends on what you call "stumpwork". Raised embroidery is indeed period.
"Stumpwork" was used by the Victorians to describe the height of the
craze, during the reign of Charles 1, which is out of period for the SCA.
However, it was the same form of embroidery which exhisted earlier, the
themes just changed.

The V & A embroidery book has pictures from pre-1600. I think the
Schuette book does, too.

Try:

Stumpwork Embroidery by Jane Nicholas , Sally Milner Publishing, 1995.
ISBN 1 86351 1830.

Raised Embroidery by Barbar and Roy Hirst, Merchurst Limited, 1993, ISBN
1-85391-203-4

I have other, more obscure references, but these are good for starters
and relatively easy to find.

Julleran