HNW - applique question

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Mon Sep 14 21:42:02 PDT 1998

Yes it was, and there are paintings showing this.  Sometimes the entire
surface of garments was apliqued, then cut thru to show the background
cloth.  There is a portrait in the book "The Queen's Pictures", which I no
longer own, of an Italian lady wearing such a garment.

There are photos of a doublet with this allover aplique technique in Janet
Arnold's "Patterns of Fashion" (the renaissance one) on page 30, patterns
on pp.90-92.  It is in an Italian museum, but I don't know if it is an
Italian garment.

There are also photos (same book) of Eleanora of Toledo's dress on pp.
40-41, where the embroidered band trim has had its background cut away to
show the cloth underneath, patterns on pp. 102-104.  She married a Medici,
so the dress she was burried in was likely of Italian manufacture.

Steve Manning writes, in a message sent 03:33 PM 9/14/98 -0600:
>Greetings
> I would like to know if applique was used on Italian Ren gowns?
>Thank you
>Linda Halley Barry

Kayta
     ////.\\\