HNW - embroidered book covers

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Mon Sep 14 21:58:31 PDT 1998

The book "Elizabethan Embroidery", by George Wingfield Digby, 1963 (no
ISBN) has three photos of embroidered book covers, only one of which is a
bible.  These are couched gold on velvet.  Pages 96-97 of the text mention
several other book bindings not illustrated.

The text mentions "The Mirror, or Glasse of the Synneful Soul", translated
from the French by, and the cover possibly embroidered by, Princess
Elizabeth.  It was given by her to Catherine Parr in 1544.  It is now in
the Bodelian Library (or was in 1963).

Christina writes, in a message sent 05:56 PM 9/14/98 -0500:
>Hi!
>
>    I'm looking for information on embroidered book covers.  I have a
>vague memory of seeing a reference to a bible cover embroidered by Q.
>Elizabeth I as a small child, but I can't lay my hands on it.  I am
>particularly interested in the Tudor/Elizabethan time period, but I'll
>take anything.  Was it only bibles that were covered?  What embroidery
>styles were used?  Is that the only piece out there, or are there more?
>
>Thanks!,
>-Magdalena

Kayta
     ////.\\\