HNW - embroidered book covers Noramunro at
Tue Sep 15 06:41:57 PDT 1998

Just as an aside in all of this ...

Cloth book covers (embroidered or otherwise) are usually called "chemises."
My experience has been that they predate the Elizabethan period by a good long
way, in both fancy (ie embroidered, fine fabric) and strictly functional
(canvas) forms.  There's a brief squib on them in Michelle Brown's
_Understanding Illuminated Manuscripts_, and she offers a photo of one which
was made for Henry VII (Elizabeth's grandfather).  Other books on the history
of the medieval book or medieval bindings will offer more detail.


(formerly at <smt2 at> -- Please note new address)
Go to to perform mailing list tasks.

More information about the H-needlework mailing list