HNW - beyond 1600, many questions

S. Gilbert sgilbert at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 17 06:27:28 PDT 1998

Good morning,

	As far as I know, this group is wide open for discussion of any
and all periods of needlework.  There are some of us out here who do
living-history/historical-reenactment that is not SCA related.  I am a
reenactor whose area of interest is Colonial America, pre-revolution,
French and Indian Wars-1750's.
	I do tambour work.  I found it very easy to pick up as I learned
to crochet when I was a little kid.  It really makes all-over beading
fast,fast,fast.  I have done 3 wedding dresses using the tambour beading
technique.  It anchors the beads well and reduces puckering in the
fabric,if I pay proper attention to my tensions ;}.
	I started out using fine wool yarn on wool fabric.  The larger
gauge of the work made is easier to see what I was doing and see what I
was doing wrong.  As I got the technique down I was able to use finer and
finer materials.  Plus I now have 4 wool shawls with beautiful tambour
work to use at living history events.
	As for wooden crochet hooks, I can't help you there, but I have a
suggestion.  I have a large collection of tambour hooks, crochet hooks,
knitting needles, awls and stilletos, all made of bone, baleen or ivory.
I found them in antique stores, second hand shops and at estate sales and
auctions.  I paid almost nothing for them, sometimes less than their
modern counterparts go for at the local fabric store.  Many times the
person in the shop didn't know what they were and sold me a whole box of
assorted sewing tools for a dollar.  I found an ivory lucet at a store in
the box of kitchen stuff.  The man running the store thought it was an
olive fork.  I paid 75 cents for it.  If you are into having period tools
to work with, start haunting the local antique shops and auctions.

Susan Gilbert  aka
She Has Old Hands
Trueblood Camp
sgilbert at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu