HNW - tambour work

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Thu Sep 17 07:40:58 PDT 1998

Dear Susan-

Many of us do needlework out of SCA-era, never fear!

I purchased a nice wooden tambour hook from Hedgehog Handworks, and have
these delusions of someday doing a Regency dress with tambour work on it.
You know, that lovely Janet Arnold one, although she describes the
embroidery as being crewel work.. I'm not sure what base fabric to use,
although I realize the weave can't be too tight or the hook won't go
through well. What do you suggest as a base fabric other than wool?.

What do you use as a tambour, or "drum", hoop, whatever? I hesitate to
spend the money on the hoops Hedgehog Handworks has, neat as they are (they
sit on a table and keep the fabric taut for tambour work. Would it work if
I bought a cheap round quilting floorstand hoop? Will a regular hand held
wooden embroidery hoop work as well?

I bought the medium and large needles, hoping to use DMC embroidery floss.
I'm not sure how I am going to handle joining the ends, as I believe each
skein is only 8 yards. I guess I'll work them in afterwards? Do you suggest
I don't use DMC but use one strand of Persian needlepoint yarn? My fears
are for washablility -- I want to be able to hand wash a garment with
needlework on it.

< I found an ivory lucet at a store in the box of kitchen stuff.  The man
running the store thought it was an olive fork.>

ROFL! An olive fork? Anyway, what a marvelous deal!

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"