HNW - beyond 1600, many questions

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Thu Sep 17 09:50:00 PDT 1998

>	As far as I know, this group is wide open for discussion of any
>and all periods of needlework.

Good to know this.

There are some of us out here who do
>living-history/historical-reenactment that is not SCA related.  I am a
>reenactor whose area of interest is Colonial America, pre-revolution,
>French and Indian Wars-1750's.

Some of my friends are 'buckskinners', altho on this coast I think they do
1830s.  I do English Regency dancing, c1800-1825, and always 'need' a new
dress.  On this coast the 1700's look a little different than they do on
the other one.  San Francisco wasn't founded till 1779, I think, and San
Jose in 1777.

>	I do tambour work.  I found it very easy to pick up as I learned
>to crochet when I was a little kid.  It really makes all-over beading
>fast,fast,fast.

I am told that costume designer Bob Mackie had all the beaded dresses that
Cher wore, on the old 'Sonny and Cher' TV show, beaded by tambour method to
meet the show's weekly deadline.

I have done 3 wedding dresses using the tambour beading
>technique.  It anchors the beads well and reduces puckering in the
>fabric,if I pay proper attention to my tensions ;}.
>	I started out using fine wool yarn on wool fabric.  The larger
>gauge of the work made is easier to see what I was doing and see what I
>was doing wrong.  As I got the technique down I was able to use finer and
>finer materials.  Plus I now have 4 wool shawls with beautiful tambour
>work to use at living history events.

I don't know why I didn't think of that.  Just like when you want to do
Irish crochet, which is too small to see the stitches if you do it right.
Thank you.

>	As for wooden crochet hooks, I can't help you there, but I have a
>suggestion.

And I have a Dremmel lathe.

I have a large collection of tambour hooks, crochet hooks,
>knitting needles, awls and stilletos, all made of bone, baleen or ivory.
>I found them in antique stores, second hand shops and at estate sales and
>auctions.  I paid almost nothing for them, sometimes less than their
>modern counterparts go for at the local fabric store.  Many times the
>person in the shop didn't know what they were and sold me a whole box of
>assorted sewing tools for a dollar.  I found an ivory lucet at a store in
>the box of kitchen stuff.  The man running the store thought it was an
>olive fork.  I paid 75 cents for it.  If you are into having period tools
>to work with, start haunting the local antique shops and auctions.

I inherrited lots of stilettos, a bodkin or two, and several bone crochet
hooks from my Grandmother, so I knew what these things looked like.  So
when I used to do flea markets a lot, I easily doubled my 'collection' from
there.  I still pick up this stuff, and odball sewing machine attachments,
whenever I find it.  My favourite is a rosewood glove darner, with one end
for fingers and the other end larger for the thumb.  25 cents, I think.
Finding that was what convinced me I needed the little lathe.

Excellent suggestion of yours.  This stuff is still out there and
affordable.

>Susan Gilbert  aka
>She Has Old Hands
>Trueblood Camp