HNW - tambour work

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Thu Sep 17 10:22:36 PDT 1998

>	I use my large round free-standing quilt frame for big projects,
>bridal trains, shawls, beaded projects.  Beading projects need to be
>framed so that the whole project can be seen, since you'll destroy work
>you've already done.  The hoop will crush and crunch the beeds.  I know
>this seems like common sense, but I goofed on this one by simply not
>thinking it through. Beading projects that cannot be hooped because they
>are too big, I break up into smaller component parts.  I bead them, cut
>them out and then applique then back together on the base fabric.

Idea - Would using those wood stretcher-bars, like painters use for
stretching canvas for paintings, do for making a large enough frame?  They
are strong enough to take the tension of stretched canvas, so thinner stuff
wouldn't hurt them.  The pieces are dovetailed together, so they could be
taken apart later and re configured.  They come in many different lengths,
so the size could always be right.  This would do if the work had to stay
flat.

BTW, this kind of advice is what I joined this group hoping to find.  I
never knew anyone who actually did tambour, and now I am listening to
several of them.  Makes me want to play hookey and go try it.  (as if I
needed another project...)

Kayta
     ////.\\\
     |   -- ))))