HNW - knitted Tudor caps

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Fri Sep 18 10:32:25 PDT 1998

Margo Lynn Hablutzel (Are you Marjorie's frind the printer?)

writes, in a message sent 08:51 AM 9/18/98 -0400:
> [...]

Some English monarch, maybe Henry, made it a law that English men had to
wear an English-knitted black wool flat cap on Sundays.  The law lasted
into Elizabeth's reign.  (Protection for the cap knitters or something.)
My guess is they were really common, at least one day a week.

I am starting with info from Rutt's

>I have heard of at least two people who worked out patterns for these,
>also.  I just don't have the notes with me; when I tried to reach one,
>earlier this year, she was on maternity leave and I eventually got an
>apology for her not having replied earlier, but no copies of her pattern.

I tried one once, and all I would have needed to do it without a pattern
was the right number of increases per round.  I'm guessing needed 6.  I was
knitting on 4 plus 1 needles like the Germans, not 3 plus 1 like the
English, so I got a warped thing I ended up unraveling part way thru.  Cast
on in the center, increase for the top, decrease for the underside of the
top, then increase again for the brim.  Knit till it's big enough.
Kayta
     ////.\\\
     |   -- ))))