HNW - Re: HNW Quick question - way off present topic.

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at
Fri Sep 18 19:28:15 PDT 1998

I have heard that Jacobean stuff with flowers and birds called crewel.  I
was unaware that it was anywhere near the 1800's.  (I could be mistaken
here.)  Crewel would be one specific style of embroidery which could be
done in wool.  

mharrison writes, in a message sent 08:17 PM 9/18/98 -0500:
>A question has come up on another list asking for a simple definition to
>distinguish embroidery from crewel work.  We fully realize that one uses,
>almost exclusively, wool, but embroidery likewise, sometimes, uses wool.
>We've also heard that crewel was established much later - 1800's where
>embroidery has been around longer.  However, what makes something crewel and
>not embroidery with wool?
>Any simple answers or are the lines blurred here?
>Curious in Calontir
>Go to to perform mailing list tasks.
   ((((   7 (((
     |   -- ))))
     * )   (((((
  /----\   /---\

Go to to perform mailing list tasks.

More information about the H-needlework mailing list