HNW - Crochet

SNSpies@aol.com SNSpies at aol.com
Fri Sep 18 20:59:41 PDT 1998

Greetings to all.

I have just received a letter from Santina M. Levey, author of "Lace: A
History" (London:  Victoria and Albert Museum, 1983) which contains some
information which I think might be of interest to others.

She says, "I can say ... that I have never found any evidence of crochet (in
the modern Western sense) before 1600, nor indeed before 1700.  The technique
of using a hooked needle in various crafts (mostly lace and embroidery) does
seem to have been adopted in the late 17th century - possibly in imitation of
the hooked chain stitch embroideries coming in from India.

"It was used in bobbin lace to hook together separately-made motifs or to
secure the mesh ground to the edges of the motifs.  In France, this was
referred to as crochetage.  There is then a great gap until crochet in a
recognisable modern form emerged in France in the early 19th century.

"I am afraid that is the best I can do, but if anyone can produce firm,
documented information about earlier appearances of the technique, I should be
very interested to hear of them."

Nancy (Ingvild)