HNW - Re: knitted/fulled hats

Irene Davis idavis at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 19 08:38:56 PDT 1998

Our local knitting/crocheting/spinning/weaving store carries a couple
of patterns that are designed to be fulled. I discovered them the other
day while checking out their yarn collection. They have a crocheted
slipper pattern (ballet, ankle and short boot heights) and two knit hat
patterns - one for a women's hat with flat or round rolled brim and one
for a men's alpine style hat. Of course I bought them. They are very
specific about the type of wools that they recommend. They say if you
aren't using these wools you should make a test swatch and full that to
see what happens. What caught my eye at the shop was a "before and
after" dusplay - a short boot slipper (looked like about a men's size
14) and the after - somehthing that looked to be about a ladies size 6.
It was VERY neat. The slippers started me thinking about fulled sockes
under turnshoes, and the hat started me thinking about how I could use
tha basic pattern to make a period piece (pre-1600). I'm at work, so I
don't have the info, but if anyone is interested I could dig it up for
later.

Irene
aka: Eirny