HNW - Re: HNW Quick question - way off present topic.

Larsdatter, Karen Karen at stierbach.atlantia.sca.org
Sat Sep 19 08:42:01 PDT 1998

Isabeau wrote:

> A question has come up on another list asking for a simple
definition to
> distinguish embroidery from crewel work.  We fully realize that one uses,
> almost exclusively, wool, but embroidery likewise, sometimes, uses wool.
> We've also heard that crewel was established much later - 1800's where
> embroidery has been around longer.  However, what makes something crewel
> and not embroidery with wool?
> Any simple answers or are the lines blurred here?

I'd have to say that crewel is a *form* of embroidery, in the way that
needlepoint is a *form* of embroidery, etc. ...

Here's a bit from Thomasina Beck's "The Embroiderer's Story:
Needlework from the Renaissance to the Present Day":

- ----

Elizabethan parents and teachers were stern, demanding constant
diligence and absolute obedience, and children's "sluggishness"
was not to be tolerated.  'It grieveth me to see you so sluggish,'
says another governess, the fictional Mistress Clemence, to her
charges Fleurimonde and Charlote in "The French Garden," a lively
conversation manual written in 1605 by Peter Erondell, a Huguenot
refugee.  Mistress Clemence hreatens to tell the girls' mother of
their idleness, which puts them in a great flurry of activity:  "Sister
where be our workes? I forgot my needlecase, take the silke ... the
crewel is not untwyned, it is all one .... I have not my silver thimble,
it is within my workbox."

Summoned by their mother they show her their efforts
apprehensively.  Poor Fleurimonde's atempts at cutwork are
immediately criticised: "Methinks I espie a fault in it."  Fortunately
the edge at least is reasonably well made, and she turns to her
other daughter, "And you Charlote, where is your worke? Are your
tapestrie cushens ended?"  Charlote answers that she has only
one left to do, and is quick with excuses, "I lack silke, I knowe not
what is become of the cushen canvas, all of my gold and silver is
done, I want more black yarne, I have not enough cruell."  "Cruell,"
or crewel as we call it now, was handspun from long staple wool
(worsted) similar in character to the yarn used in making the
Bayeux Tapestry (which is, of course, not a tapestry, woven on a
loom, but an embroidery, stitched with crewels on linen.)  There
was just as much confusion between the two words in the
sixteenth century as there is today, and Charlote's "Tapestrie
cushens" were certainly not woven, but embroidered on canvas.
The endearingly scatterbrained sisters appear to have passed the
sampler stage, and the materials suggest that htey were working in
several different methods.

- ----