HNW - Museum photography

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Mon Sep 21 10:28:14 PDT 1998

Susan Evans writes, in a message sent 05:11 PM 9/20/98 -0400:>  I'm
planning a trip to the Met. Museum in NYC next month and was
>wondering if anyone on the list has had experience with the Kodak Max film?
> It's supposed to be more "forgiving" in low light situations - something
>most museums have plenty of :*) but I was wondering about the quality of
>the photo.  I'd like close-ups, being able to count stitches in needlework
>or see costume details and accurate color.  Is that too much to ask?
>(Probably but what's the general opinion?)

I used to have extender rings for my 35mm SLR camera.  I think these are
what Donna is calling magnifying filters in her post.  With them I was able
to brace without a tripod by putting the end of the lens right on the glass
of the cases so I could count threads.

Some places will allow photography, but not the use of a tripod.  Donna's
right about asking first.  I live in CA and don't get to other museums a
lot, so I would hate to go 2000+ miles just to find out I couldn't take
pictures.  Also good, at the Met, to let any room guards know what you plan
to do.  They get pretty protective too.

I used ASA 400 film, which has small enough 'grain' that I could see the
threads in the resultant prints, but all the prints were yellow from the
low light conditions.  I 'knew' the prints would go yellow on me, so I took
colour notes whenever they mattered.

Kayta
     ////.\\\
     |   -- ))))