HNW - Cleaning Needlework

EowynA@aol.com EowynA at aol.com
Mon Sep 21 17:37:22 PDT 1998

Hello, all!

I just finished a piece of blackwork on linen, done in black Soie d'Alger
thread.  I followed the advice of a teacher, Ms. Jane Zimmerman, and used a #2
lead pencil to trace my design onto the linen before stitching.

Unfortunately, some places were not "true" -- that is, the line that was
supposed to be straight up and down did not follow the grain of the fabric
when I traced it.  So I corrected it on the cloth, with the thread.  But that
means I am left with a few pencil lines still visible (though much less than
it was) where I originally put the marks.

So far, I have cleaned it by soaking for a couple hours in a solution of soap
flakes and Biz in water, which may have helped some but did not fully solve
the problem.  I have also tried a "fabric eraser", which mostly just turned
the fiber of the cloth into a fine fuzzy cloud.  I fear if I rub too long or
hard, the linen will develop a thin spot with a line of pencil through it.
I'm going to try the soap flakes and Biz mixture again, but I don't want to
soak it too long, or I fear the black pigment in the thread will start
dissolving.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?  Otherwise, I get to do the piece over
again, and I'd prefer not doing that if there is another way.

Thanks in advance for advice,

Melinda Sherbring, Los Angeles,   a.k.a.
Eowyn Amberdrake, Caid